Friday, December 27, 2019

Cake Batter Cookies


Cake Batter Cookies...  Before I was a stay at home mom, I was a surgical assistant at an oral surgeons office.  Once we had a patient bring in these cookies as a thank you and they were easily the best cookies I've ever had! I certainly have a sweet tooth but I could. not. stop. eating these!
Her cookies were the perfect consistency and were filled with chocolate chips and M&Ms.  I begged our patient for her recipe and she told me that she had found it on Sally's Baking Addiction.  That weekend I made these cookies for the first time! My first batch was about 4 years ago, I have made them so many times since and they never disappoint!

My favorite part about these cookies is that you can use different kinds of cake mix to create lots of different flavor combinations! While classic white cake mix with M&Ms and chocolate chips are my go to (probably because it's the first combination I had) I've done chocolate cake mix with peanut butter chips and red velvet mix with white chocolate chips.  The only mix that I've tried that I do not like is French Vanilla mix, I'm not sure exactly why but they were not my favorite! 

A few notes I've made to myself on this recipe:

*Pull the butter and egg out a few hours before you start baking- the recipe calls for a room temperature egg and butter, trying to soften the butter in the microwave (i.e.: usually melting the butter) just doesn't produce the same texture of batter! I've also put my egg in warm water (not hot, you don't want to cook it!) for a bit to get it to room temperature if you forget to set it out.  

*The cookies will continue to bake on the cookie sheet so make sure to pull them out when they are a little under done! The time I use is 11 minutes in the oven, then 4 minutes on the cookie sheet before I move them to the cooling racks.  **If you bake them too long these cookies turn to hockey pucks!

*If you move the cookies to the cooling rack too soon they will fall straight through and ruin your cookies!! (FYI husbands love to eat "ruined" cookies! Whenever I am baking Chad always comes in looking for the least pretty one that he can taste)

*The original recipe calls for light brown sugar, I recently made them with dark brown sugar and I'll never go back! You wouldn't think one ingredient would make such a difference but they were extra soft and yummy!

*You really do need to chill the dough so the cookies don't spread into a big mess! If you don't have at least 30 minutes to let them chill you should probably find a different recipe (like my very favorite brownie recipe!)


CAKE BATTER COOKIES
SOURCE: Sallys Baking Addiction

INGREDIETS: 
  • 1 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 and 1/4 cup boxed cake mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup unsalted, softened butter
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 egg at room temperature
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips 
** I like to use 1/2 cup semi sweet and 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 
INSTRUCTIONS: 
  1. In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, cake mix, baking soda, salt)
  2. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream the softened butter and both sugars on high until smooth
  3. Add the egg, mix on high about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed
  4. Add the vanilla and beat on high until combined
  5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on medium speed until just combined
  6. Add the chocolate chips and mis until evenly distributed 
  7. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours
  8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  9. Roll the dough into golfball sized balls and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes. Let cookies sit on cookie sheet for 4 minutes before moving to cooling rack to finish cooling. 
** You can make the dough ahead of time and freeze for up to three months, make sure you roll the dough unto individual balls before you freeze! Bake frozen cookie dough balls for one extra minute.  




We've changed locations, please visit our newly optimized site at: https://onesouthernbelle.com