Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Thanksgiving Dutch Baby








Thanksgiving Morning! Chad always says that he needs to get his belly ready for all the yummy food by eating a big breakfast.  I don't know if his theory really holds water but I do enjoy a good breakfast so I'll roll with it!


Thanksgiving morning selfie :) 


I'm usually a breakfast casserole kind of girl during family gatherings.  They are easy, you can make them ahead of time and everyone always loves them!  This year I wanted to try something different and make a dutch baby.  I had never had one before and I really didn't know what to expect but its fluffy, covered in syrup and I got the recipe from Chrissy Tiegan- how bad could it be?!



Both of our families were traveling into town Thanksgiving morning so it was just Chad and the girls for breakfast.  We ended up having one piece leftover. (I'm betting once Collin starts eating real food we won't have any leftovers!) As our family came in they all stated picking at our leftover piece and loved it so much (even cold) that I had to make a double batch the next morning! Turns out that Dutch Babies make excellent Thanksgiving warm up food and Black Friday shopping fuel!




Recipe Source: Cravings by Chrissy Tiegan 
(I got my cookbook from Target, but you can find it on Amazon here)


To make a Dutch Baby you need a blender, a pan and a really hot oven (475 yikes!) You whip the batter in the blender which gets lots of air into the batter that helps it rise.  I really need to get a picture of it right out of the oven, its so fluffy! Unfortunately the three times Ive made it, it falls while I'm adding the butter, syrup and powdered sugar.  I need to do some research to figure out if I can keep it from falling or if that's just what it does! The recipe calls for a cast iron skillet but I don't have one so I used a 8x8 baking pan.  It's possible the pan effected the rising/falling issue but either way it was really yummy and a huge hit with the whole family! 

If you've never had a dutch baby, it tastes a lot like French toast but has a different consistency! Kennedy absolutely loved it and kept signing for more!  This Thanksgiving was the first time we made one, but it will not be the last! I have a feeling this is going to be a special breakfast dish for many years to come! 

DUTCH BABY PANCAKE
Source: CRAVINGS BY CHRISSY TEIGAN


INGREDIENTS

1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted plus softened butter for serving
Pancake syrup 
Powdered sugar, for dusting
INSTRUCTIONS

1.Preheat oven to 475 degrees (yikes!)
2. In a blender, combine the flour, eggs, milk salt and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.  Blend until smooth with no lumps
3. In a 10 inch cast iron skilled (or similar sized baking pan), heat the remaining butter until foamy- with a skillet heat on the stovetop, if using baking dish heat in the over while its preheating
4. Add the batter and immediately put in the oven.  Bake until the outside of the pancake is puffed and a deep golden color (it will puff up in a bit of a crazy, disorganized way, don’t worry!) 17 to 18 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven, slather with softened butter and cut into quarters.  Pour the syrup over pancake slices and dust with powdered sugar. 


We've changed locations, please visit our newly optimized site at: https://onesouthernbelle.com